A supervisor’s skills are the best resources to maximize employee excellence and empowerment. Motivating employees toward productivity and a quality work life requires a thorough understanding of the supervisor’s role as coach and counselor. This workshop presents supervision as a vital constellation of skills to enhance employee effectiveness, productivity, morale, and professional development. During the workshop, participants will gain exposure to the key issues and principles of supervision through empowerment.
The Supervising for Excellence and Professional Development Course will:
- Thoroughly illustrate coaching and counseling strategies which empower others.
- Identify how and when to supervise for maximum impact.
- Review how to prepare for an employee “counseling” session.
- Demonstrate a “hands on” method for effective counseling.
- Identify how supervision relates to counseling and administrative models of leadership.
In addition, participants will learn how and when to utilize the basic strategies and skills of supervision:
- Conducting a supervisory interview
- Distinguishing discrepancies of performance due to knowledge, skill, perception, or motivation
- Using effective supervisory problem-solving techniques
- Developing a professional development plan for your employees
- Understanding the barriers to effective supervision
The workshop is intended for senior and mid-level professionals with formal responsibility for supervision who may wish to expand their working knowledge and skills in supervision and empowerment.
The program will include the following outline in a learning style consisting of:
- Brief presentation
- Small group skills practice
- One-to-one interviewing
- Individual case studies
- Small group debriefing analysis
Workshop Sequence and Topics:
- Improving Human Excellence and Empowerment Through Supervision
- Understanding the Characteristics of a Supervisory Relationship
- Distinguishing Supervision, Counseling, and Administrative Strategies
- Facilitating a Shared Problem-Solving Approach in Supervision
- Identifying When and How to Use Supervisory Counseling to Empower Others
- Establishing Trust in Supervisory Relationships
- Effectively Using the Supervisory Strategies of Coaching and Counseling to Improve Excellence
- Diffusing the Critical and Emotional Issues of Power and Authority
- Overcoming Barriers to Supervisory Growth
- Assessing Different Types of Supervisory Change: Knowledge, Skill, Motivation
- Using an Effective Professional Development Plan with Others